Start a Chapter
Thank you for your interest in starting a Safe Families for Children (Safe Families) Chapter in your location. It’s not as difficult as you might think it is. Here are some suggestions:
- Check out the Find a Chapter section to see if there is a Safe Families Chapter in your location.
- If there is not a location in your area and you might be interested in helping to bring Safe Families to your location, please complete a questionnaire and someone from the Safe Families national office will contact you.
- To start a chapter, some of the following will need to be accomplished:
- Identify local churches that might be interested in being a Safe Families Church. You certainly could begin with one church, but having a group of churches will move things along much quicker.
- Identify a few other people who might also be interested in being part of the chapter leadership team. Chapter leadership teams usually meet monthly to plan and implement efforts.
- Visit an existing Safe Families site to see firsthand how it works.
- Read the How to Start a Chapter manual provided by the Safe Families national office. It will give you step-by-step direction on how to develop Safe Families in your location.
- If there isn’t an agency (a child-placing agency) on your team, the Safe Families national office will help to arrange one because there needs to be an entity responsible for screening and approving volunteers.
Thanks very much for your interest. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Join the Movement