Be a Host Family
Become a Safe Families Host Family
If you are looking for a truly rewarding experience, consider becoming a Safe Families for Children (Safe Families) Host Family. You will make a lasting impression on a child in need and possibly change the trajectory of a family.
You must be at least 25 years old, emotionally and financially stable, mature, law abiding, healthy, and active. You also must be willing to engage in a long-term friendship with a family in need, agree to not use drugs, and refrain from using profanity or engaging in other negative behavior that may impact a child.
Open your home and nurture a child; follow these simple steps to become an approved Safe Families Host Family:
- Fill out an application. You may find some of our questions quite personal, but it is important that we get to know you as well as possible. We need to make sure that all Safe Families volunteers are well equipped to handle their responsibilities.
- Expect a home visit. When we receive your completed application, we will contact you to arrange a home visit. The visit will allow us to get to know you and your family and to walk through your home.
- Complete our training. All Safe Families Host Families are required to complete the Safe Family training. This can be done online or in person in your community.
- Expect a background check. Depending on the state in which you live, you will need to be fingerprinted or provide information so that criminal and child-abuse background checks can be conducted.
- Submit three references. You will need to provide us with contact information or reference letters from three people (non-family members) know you well.
After this five-step process is complete, a local Safe Families partner will contact you when a child needs help.