Faith in Action
Safe Families for Children is a movement fueled by thousands of families who practice biblical hospitality. By opening their homes they are caring for children whose parents or guardians are struggling. This work isn’t possible without the commitment of hundreds of churches all across the country. Through Safe Families for Children, your church can be putting its faith into action.
Make a Difference
When a church becomes a Safe Families for Children Church its members are given opportunities to grow spiritually, show compassion, and change society for the better. Safe Families Churches profoundly affect our communities by:
- Mentoring volunteers. Provide support, education, and guidance to families hosting children in their homes.
- Recruiting volunteers. Show a promotional DVD during services, host informational tables, or place ads in newsletters, bulletins, or on websites.
- Hosting monthly (or quarterly) support groups. Provide opportunities for Safe Families volunteers to meet together and build a support network and sense of community.
- Identifying support services. Find physicians, mental health professionals, attorneys, social workers, or nurses who can provide specialized support services to those caring for children. If needed, seek out volunteers to babysit or provide respite care, and provide transportation for Safe Families’ Host Families.
- Donating resources. Help others donate items for children placed with Host Families, including diapers, baby formula, car seats, clothing, and blankets. Most children staying with a Safe Families’ Host Family come with very few supplies and personal possessions.
Safe Families believes that compassion drives people to get involved, but change keeps them involved. Please join us in changing the lives of families in crisis by building caring relationships and sharing our faith.
Resurrecting Biblical Hospitality
By extending hospitality to others in need, Safe Families for Children returns the Church to its historic role of caring for the orphan and the widow. The scriptures lead us to make room in our busy, well-protected lives to minister to others and help a stranger. In early church times, hospitality was considered dangerous and even radical, yet it served as a foundational ministry.
Today, Safe Families remains integrally linked to local churches. Churches of all sizes play roles in providing for the less fortunate families in their communities. The church is reemerging as a champion for families in need, even as our society faces legal and governmental constraints and depleting resources.
Become a Safe Families Church
It’s easy to become a Safe Families Church! Learn how your faith community can join the movement of surrounding families in crisis with caring, compassionate community.