Founded in 2003, Safe Families for Children (Safe Families) surrounds families in crisis with caring, compassionate community. We are a nonprofit, volunteer movement that provides hope and support to families in our local communities. Located in 70 cities across the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and beyond, we are motivated by compassion to keep children safe and out of foster care.
Safe Families create extended family–like supports for desperate families through a community of devoted volunteers who are motivated by faith to keep children safe and keep families intact.
In many situations, parents or guardians may be incapable of providing a safe and caring environment for their children, putting them at risk of abuse and neglect. In the past, extended family or neighbors stepped in to help families in crisis by caring for their children for short periods of time. Today, however, many families are socially isolated, and their extended family is nonexistent, or unavailable or unable to help.
Adding to the problem is the fact that most state child welfare agencies are required under law to rescue only those children who suffer blatant abuse or neglect, leaving thousands of children at risk.
The three objectives of Safe Families for Children are:
- Keep children safe during a family crisis such as homelessness, hospitalization, or domestic violence in an effort to prevent child abuse and/or neglect.
- Support, and stabilize families in crisis by surrounding them with caring, compassionate community.
- Reunite families and reduce the number of children entering the child welfare system.
Who Are We?
Safe Families volunteers are…
- Host Families: Screened and approved by Safe Families, Host Families take in children for short periods of time.
- Family Friends: They provide support to Families in Crisis (e.g., mentoring and transportation) and Host Families (e.g., babysitting and providing meals).
- Resource Friends: They provide various type of resources to Placing Families to help parents get back on their feet.
- Family Coaches: They are trained to provide resources and casework-like services to Families in Crisis. They also ensure that kids are well cared for in Host Family homes.
- Safe Families Churches: These are spiritual communities that support Safe Families as a ministry of their church. There are three church levels: Participating Church, Lead Church, and Community Lead Church.
- Safe Families PLUS Mentors: These volunteers mentor young adults aging out of foster care.